Medicine Horse Way
Training for Professionals
Session One January 31 – February 8, 2017
Session Two April 12 – 19, 2017
This is an accelerated apprenticeship designed by Carol Roush and Medicine Horse Way for those who have completed the NOW program and want to begin to work with individual clients offering elements of Medicine Horse Way equine experiential learning. This training program will take place over the course of 2 sessions, each session is 9 days. There will be a minimum of 2 months between the two sessions during which there will be reading assignments, and client practice sessions to be completed and reported. Additionally, those who complete this training program will be eligible for future continuing education programs to acquire advanced skills and up to date innovations in Medicine Horse Way Equine Facilitated learning.
Those who have been practicing various healing arts modalities know that for some clients the process can be very long with limited success or progress, or after a certain amount of time they become stuck and seem unable to move forward. Equine Facilitated Experiential Learning has proven to be a powerful module in those situations because it moves the participants out of apathy and into active engagement with an animal whose very presence demands connection, interaction, and congruence.
The Medicine Horse Way approach to human healing engages the client emotionally, physically, intellectually, and spiritually. Each module of the program is specifically designed to move the client from where they are to where they have the potential to be, in a safe, nurturing, and respectful process. They become aware of projection and transference and how to integrate or heal those aspects of self, they identify dysfunctional beliefs and behaviors, and they grow into awareness of the authentic aspects of themselves that have been hidden or repressed. This process facilitates the individual into a happier presence with life and community.
Science has proven that horses, and other animals for that matter, bring people into dynamic connection with their own hearts and vulnerabilities in a nonverbal way, Medicine Horse Way teaches them how to receive the gifts and learn to extend them beyond the arena.
There are many methodologies on the market for Equine Experiential Learning trainings. They all have something to offer, many are fun, interesting, and inspiring. Medicine Horse Way changes lives because we address the whole person; body, mind, intellect, emotion, and spirit.
Who is qualified to apply?
- Life Coaches
- Other Healing Arts and Equine Professionals
- Those who have completed the NOW program
What is included in the program?
Program participants will have the opportunity to experience Medicine Horse Way Equine Facilitated Experiential Learning, become proficient in partnering with horses safely, facilitating a variety of reflective and active equine experiences and processing the experience with the client for maximum benefit. The program includes how to teach specific life skills, like boundary setting and emotional agility, that clients can take home to improve their circumstances in relationships, jobs, family, and community.
The enrolled group of participants will determine certain aspects of the agenda according to interest and skills requirements. The program will be facilitated by Medicine Horse Way Master Instructors.
Participants who have completed the NOW program are given preference because they have experienced all of the activities and material from the perspective of a client thus enabling one to deeply integrate the process and congruently walk your talk as a Medicine Horse Way Equine Facilitated Learning practitioner. Horses react to incongruence with no differentiation between the client and the instructor so practitioners must be able to fully embody what they are presenting to clients/patients.
The apprenticeship program will include the following:
- Horses as partners: evaluating horses for suitability in active and reflective work with clients, choosing your herd, horse/client safety, modulating energy/behavior, boundary setting, facilities do’s and don’ts, working with clients with no horse experience and those who are horse professionals.
- Expressive Arts: these activities assist clients in accessing unconscious beliefs and behaviors, including hidden gifts, hopes, and dreams.
- Authentic Community Building: These skills establish guidelines for how the relationship with clients will evolve and teach them how to take what they are learning back into their relationships, family, jobs, and communities. It will also empower them to manage their own evolving process.
- The Art of Facilitation: this module will add to your facilitation skills by focusing specifically on how to manage horse experiences and feedback in a way that maximizes the benefit to the client and maintains respect for your horse partner.
- 3 Types of Boundaries: clients learn how to set and honor physical boundaries, energetic boundaries, and boundaries that protect their emotional, spiritual, intellectual, reality.
- Body Scan / Power Word: clients learn how to access information, stored in the body, that can identify what is keeping them stuck and how to move forward.
- Reflective interactions with horses: clients learn to move their consciousness inward and explore their need to connect, to find peace, to be present.
- Active interactions with horses: clients learn how to set intentions and follow through, modulate their energy and expression, set healthy boundaries, and play.
- 4-Step Process and the Messages Behind Emotions: this module helps clients to understand the purpose for their emotions, how to process them, and then return to homeostasis.
- Guidelines for working with trauma survivors and mental health disorders.
- Structuring your program and integrating EFL into other professions.
- Professional code of conduct and ethics of EFL.
- Series of 7 Private Sessions to conduct with clients
Homework Between the Sessions:
Apprentices will be required to conduct 7 private sessions as outlined in the program with a minimum of 3 clients between session one and session two of the program. There are also reading assignments between the two sessions.
- Reflective Horse Skills and client activities
- Active Horse Skills and client activities
- Enemies and Keysof Learning: information to help clients understand what beliefs keep them stuck, and how to move forward. One example is “opinions are not knowledge”.
- Definition of Medicine Horse Way Terms: and example is “Holding the Sacred Space of Possibility” as an advanced form of patience and acceptance of self and others.
- Mental Health Considerations: we’ll share our experiences of working with horses and humans for over 13 years.
- Standards of Practice: basics of setting up or adding an equine element to your business.
- Continuing Education Opportunities: all Medicine Horse Way instructors have access to learning more advanced material and activities, continuing their own personal development process, getting support for the challenges along the way, and the joy and satisfaction of being a part of the Medicine Horse Way Authentic Community of like minded skilled and committed professionals.
Recommended Reading List: the following books will help you connect with the heart and soul of the Medicine Horse Way approach to Equine Facilitated Learning and Personal Development.
- Kinship with All Life by J. Allen Boone
- The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- Horses Don’t Lie by Chris Irwin
- Dancing with your Dark Horse by Chris Irwin
- The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Debbie Ford
- Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson
What are the benefits of an accelerated apprenticeship?
The demand for this type of training program has increased over the years and we at Medicine Horse Way understand that there are professionals who are already working with clients and patients, who already have horse experience, who have already committed a great deal of time and effort in their own personal development and who have a strong desire to add an equine element to their existing practice, who do not need detailed instruction and practice in the art of facilitation, and who have time constraints that do not allow for the full 5-week training program. Most of you will have already completed the first 2 weeks (NOW).
The class size for the accelerated apprenticeship will be limited to a small select group of qualified professionals, this will allow a great deal of focus with hands on practice, and individual learning needs and processes. A smaller class with the same number of faculty of Medicine Horse Way Master Instructors as our 5 week program will mean a very high quality training program. Our goal is that by the end of the program you are confident in including Medicine Horse Way in your practice with your clients. You will also have a community of Medicine Horse Way Equine Facilitated Experiential Learning professionals available to consult with as you take your practice forward.
When and Where will the Program take place?
Accelerated training programs will be scheduled according to demand. The programs require a minimum of 4 participants and will accept a maximum of 8 participants.
This program will take place in Amado, Arizona.
What is the Cost?
The program tuition is $3,500 per session. The first payment is due upon application acceptance and the second payment is due on March 10, 2017.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS December 31, 2016
To apply for this professional training please completely fill out the application form here.
Each application will be reviewed by a panel of 3 Medicine Horse Way Master Instructors. The focus of the review process will be to determine if an accelerated apprenticeship will serve your needs or if the full 5 session Medicine Horse Way apprenticeship is more appropriate for your level of experience and education.
Once the review of your application is complete, there will be a telephone or Skype interview with a Medicine Horse Way Master Instructor.
Once the interview is complete and the panel has completed its evaluation you will then receive notification of your status and further instructions and information about the dates and location for the training programs you are eligible to participate in.